Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Yellow vs White Gold?

Katie here!

I gave a few tours of our facility over the weekend to perspective couples looking to plan their wedding with us. More often than not, when I speak with couples, I can’t help but notice the engagement ring. I mean come on, I AM a girl! And they are just so darn pretty! No two are ever alike. One of the brides this weekend had the most gorgeous solitaire diamond ring, with a yellow gold band, and I realized I almost NEVER see yellow gold anymore! Not even for grooms. They are more often than not choosing white gold, titanium, or something of the sort as well.


I simply had to investigate this more and spent some time perusing engagement rings online. (A perk of the job, what can I say.) And let me tell you gold rings are hard to come by! Especially in engagement rings. However, my mom’s engagement ring and wedding band are gold, and more often than not parents of the brides and grooms I talk to seem to have gold bands too.

This got me to thinking about trends. Because it sure seems that white gold or platinum is by far the style these days, but once upon a time that wasn’t the case. Say yellow gold makes a come back? Does that make the platinum rings of today out-of-date? Does it matter if it’s what you always wanted anyway, or are we skewed by thinking what is on the market today is the most beautiful, and our perspective changes with the market?



I have a friend who got married a few years ago and she went with a yellow gold engagement ring and wedding band. And while it’s really pretty, at the time I remember thinking it seemed “old”. Heck, Katy Perry’s engagement ring was yellow gold! I even broached this with my boyfriend who stated that he would prefer to wear a very traditional yellow gold wedding band but feels pressure to wear something more modern like his friends. Personally, with my everyday jewelry, I have reintroduced yellow gold as a staple and I love the color, so that makes me think perhaps yellow gold would suit me too, just like my mom’s ring set (which I love).



In the end, it’s all a matter of preference and probably a little about what is available on the market. But you can be assured that I will have my eye on the market in the next few years to see if yellow gold starts to make a comeback or if white gold/platinum are here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment