Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Have Your Cake and Eat It Too!

Let there be cake. I love cake. I especially love buttercream frosting on my cake and there is nothing like a good wedding cake. Here at the War Memorial one of my favorite things to do when setting up a wedding is to check out the cake.

There have been all types, sizes, and shapes of cakes here. From a cake shaped like a football helmet to a rubber ducky themed cake, to a wedding cake with the characters from The Nightmare Before Christmas on it. It is always entertaining to see the various cakes that come through.
Something that I have been sporadically seeing is the substitution of cupcakes for the traditional wedding cake. This is sometimes a little easier for your guests to get to and they can be a lot of fun.

I did a little research on the story of the cake and found out that in the 17th century it was popular to have a “bride’s pie” at a wedding ceremony. This pie was usually filled with sweetbreads or mutton or mince pie (which I think is goat or lamb…ewww!!!) However, the other “main ingredient” was a glass ring. The story goes that whoever found the glass ring would marry next (their form of a bouquet toss?). This tradition quickly disappeared by the 19th century, and this is when the tiered cakes started to take trend. Cakes started out back then as a simply white (to symbolize purity) cake and through the years have changed to represent the style of the couple being married.
So from minced pie to buttercream…I think I can speak (or write) for most people when saying that this is one tradition that has definitely improved over the years!












No comments:

Post a Comment