Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Engagement Stories


Whenever a new couple comes in to see me I can always see how excited they are. Usually they are freshly engaged and their rings are proudly shown off. One of my favorite things is to hear how they actually got engaged. I have heard a lot of different stories. From engagement rings being found in cupcakes to McDonalds Happy Meals (one of my favorites). I LOVE hearing people's stories. They don’t have to be extravagant and there doesn’t even have to be a ring involved; it’s the sentiment and excitement that always gets me.

After doing a little research I found a lot of interesting facts on the act of proposing. For example: way back in the day men would send a pair of gloves to their “lady love.” If the interested party wore them to church then that meant she accepted his proposal to be his wife.
I also found out that (again this is way back then…) women would wait anxiously for leap year. Since that day technically didn’t count as day that was legally observed, women would be able to ask or propose to their man. In Argentina they exchange their wedding bands at the time of engagement. A Filipino tradition used to be that if a women was to walk out of her house and found a spear in front of her house….she would be considered engaged.
One more…
In Korea when a man would want to propose to his future wife he would ride to her parents house on a white horse (prince charming????) and give her parents a gift of two geese. The geese meant he would be faithful to her (my question is what do they do with the geese afterwards?)
So if you are thinking of getting engaged, maybe try an “oldy but a goody” tradition….but steer clear of the spears…that could get very dangerous
.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful this Wedding rings. Its diamond ring its very rare. Now day use of Wedding rings are very much. Because women like it very much.

    ReplyDelete