Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Readings

Katie here again!!

Don’t totally flip when I tell you all this, but I am also going to be in another one of my dear friend’s weddings this July. If it seems like all of my friends are married, or are getting married, you would be correct!! At this point, basically all of my closest girl friends are married or are on their way!


Anyway I digress…my friend was in a sorority in college and I guess it is ‘mandatory’ that sorority sisters are your bridesmaids in your wedding. But she really wanted me to have a special part in it and asked me to do a reading (plus participate in getting my hair, nails and makeup done on the day of AND go to the bridal brunch, rehearsal and rehearsal dinner…I can’t wait!) When she asked me, I feigned being really excited that she asked me to be a part of it, but inside I was panicking… I am still panicking actually. In ‘real’ life I am a pretty shy person and I don’t like having attention on me, so getting up in front of 200 people to give a reading is probably the scariest thing anyone could ever ask me to voluntarily do. Okay, I am a scientist and am a good public speaker, so I may be exaggerating. Either way, I met my friend for tea this weekend and we discussed what readings she was looking in to. At first, she was going to have ME pick something, and I thought no way! I would have no idea where to even start looking! But she has since changed her mind on that and will be picking something for me.

But that got me to thinking…how do people decide on what, if any, readings they want to have be a part of their ceremonies? What is the significance, really, of having readings at ceremonies? Perhaps a poem or song lyrics that are meaningful to their relationship? Bible passages are common for more religious ceremonies. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard the “love is patient, love is kind” reading. Carrie and Paul are trekkies and JRR Tolkien fans, and had a beautiful reading from his books at their ceremony.

Either way, I am throwing this one out to all you wonderful readers! How do you/ did you choose readings for your wedding? Where did you look? Did you decide to have readings at all? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment