Monday, January 17, 2011

NYE Engagements!

Hi all, Katie here! Sorry it's been a while....

Amanda very recently wrote about the holidays being engagement season. I noticed shortly after Christmas the entertainment news sources were reporting that a lot of celebrity couples were getting engaged, and I thought that would probably be the extent of my association with the holiday engagement season. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was mistaken!! My best friend called me a few hours shy of midnight on New Year’s Eve to tell me that her longtime boyfriend had popped the question!! While it is not my story to tell, their engagement story is very sweet. Even more unique is the ring! As the story goes, my friend was touring a local jewelry store in North Carolina when she had a bit of free time. She has a very eclectic style and likes to make her own jewelry, so her eye is drawn to pieces that are not typical wedding jewelry. Upon admiring a few rings at this particular store (not necessarily as engagement rings), she ventured home where she met up with her boyfriend. He asked her how her day was and she explained that after work she had casually meandered into this particular store and liked what she had seen. Moments later, her boyfriend suggested picking up some food for dinner, and he headed out the door. Almost a week later, he was down on one knee at a park bench asking her to marry him with one of the very same rings she had admired at the store that afternoon. On the guise of picking up dinner, he bee-lined back to the jewelry store to investigate what she had found, and picked up one of the rings the jeweler had mentioned she was eyeing. Very clever and thoughtful if you ask me!!


Perhaps even more unique than the engagement, is the style of ring that he chose. In North Carolina, there is a jewelry store called Creative Metalsmiths, and the design focuses on intertwining metal wire and gems to create the rings. I investigated their website and discovered that their selection is quite beautiful, albeit a bit untraditional!




My friends’ brother was also recently engaged, and both he and his fiancĂ© chose to wear engagement rings made of wood. At first I was skeptical, but learned upon further investigation that they are very beautiful! Wooden rings are making an impact on the engagement and wedding ring market as an eco-friendly alternative to diamonds and precious metals. They come in a variety of colors, shapes and designs and can even have gems fused into them. Wearers must be aware, however, that they must treat these rings with care. They are prone to scratches and dents, and while they are coated in a seal that makes them water resistant, they are not water proof and should not be worn in the shower, while doing the dishes, washing your hands, swimming, etc.


The holiday season was a very busy one full of celebration for my friend and her family. Both she and her brother have made me aware of two very unique engagement ring ideas that I hope you find just as interesting as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment