Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wedding Dresses Throughout the Ages



I recently went out of my comfort zone and bought my first animal print dress. To probably 99% of the world, it is no big deal...but it got me thinking about fashion and blasts from the pasts. My last "out of my comfort zone" purchase was a "high low" dress...the dress that has a higher hem in the front (to the knee) and then in the back goes down to past the ankles. I wondered if this "high low" dress was a new idea or if it has been done before. Then I started thinking of wedding gowns for some odd reasons and wanted to see the what the trends have been and how in 2013 we have gone from:
1933:  Actress Ann Todd models her wedding gown. Designed and made by Helene Galin it is of w
to this:
2010: From Chloe Dao's bridal collection
After doing some research and finding this great website. I was stunned to see so many fashions that have come back around. For example, her is the more tasteful "high low" wedding dress:
1928: American actor John Barrymore with his wife Dolores Costello  

And then - I feel like I have seen this on some recent celebrities:
1971:  Mick Jagger and his new wife Bianca.

..and then I see that ...sigh...there have even been years that may need to be erased:
2003-2004: A model presents a wedding dress by German fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld

So, from buying an animal skin  dress- to a "high low" dress, I have realized that fashion really does just keep on circling around! Click Here to check out this great website and see all the dresses throughout the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment