Friday, October 2, 2009

Blackening the Bride

Traditions, especially ethnic traditions always interest me. So today, when I was doing some wedding research I came across an article about a tradition in Scotland called blackening the bride.


"In the Scottish pre-wedding tradition of “Blackening the Bride,” The bride is taken by surprise and covered with foul substances, such as eggs, various sauces, feathers, and well you name it…
The bride to be, officially blackened, is the then paraded around town, and of course a few pubs, for all to see."




I also read somewhere that they groom gets molasses or honey poured on him and then is feathered and tied to a tree.

hmmm....I am 25% Scottish/Irish, and am just glad these traditions didn't filter through for my wedding...but I would LOVE to see this in person!

Anyone else have some crazy traditions that you would like to share?

1 comment: